About

Wormholes and Swords is a blog dedicated to Science Fiction and Fantasy, with a bit of real world technical stuff thrown in from time to time. It is managed by T.D. Wilson, author of the Science Fiction book series, The Epherium Chronicles.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

New Review of Crucible on Goodreads


Another great review of Crucible, the second book in my series The Epherium Chronicles, was just posted to Goodreads(review link).  The buzz about the series continues to grow and I am excited that readers can immerse themselves in the story.  For those of you not on Goodreads, here is the review from Greg Dragon.


's review 
Jun 29, 14

Read from June 22 to 29, 2014

Though I have not read “Embrace” the first book in this series, I found The Epherium Chronicles: Crucible to be an enjoyable read on it's own. The attention to detail given to the situations, the military protocol, and the world in general was very impressive. What was even more interesting is that at no time did I feel lost or confused for not having read the first book.

For lovers of the classic style of military science fiction, Crucible will not disappoint you as it has all of the ingredients that we love, items like: space jumping, protecting clueless colonists, extending age through experimentation, and of course space marines kicking ass.

The author has a real talent for setting the scene, and it allows you to put yourself in the situation of Captain Hood, and see the action, the dialogue, and the events play out in real time. This is what made it such a fun read for me. The writing and editing is top notch, and while I found that sometimes the descriptions and the military items were a bit too much to keep up with, it was a very easy read otherwise.

The Epherium Chronicles: Crucible read like a well paced motion picture. It gives you time to meet people, form opinions, then have those opinions adjust as you find out more about them from the dialogue and situations that arise. I am a sucker for a mysterious femme fatale, and while I initially rolled my eyes at Lieutenant Maya, she grew on me as she opened up and it didn’t take long for me to become a fan.

There is quite a bit of intelligent dialogue and development through back and forths with the crew, so for readers that love conversation there is quite a bit of it here. Action? It takes a while for the situation to get there--which made me wonder if action-seeking, short attention spanned readers would fall off around chapter five or so--but when the action comes, it freaking comes. I love drawn out, detailed battles and Crucible did not disappoint.

I would highly recommend Crucible to anyone that loves Science Fiction. I can see this series becoming one that will be talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment